Former Judges Release Report Criticising Govt, Media, Police Role In Delhi Riots Fatima Khan 08 Oct 2022 https://www.thequint.com/amp/story/news/india/former-judges-release-report-criticising-government-media-police-role-in-delhi-riots
The committee, headed by former Supreme Court judge, Justice (retired) Madan Lokur, has expressed grave concerns.
- Delhi police “failed to take any preventive or punitive measures to tackle the polarized atmosphere building up
- besides failing to prevent violence in many cases, the Delhi police also showed "complicity of varying degrees in the violence" in other instances.
- the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) must be held responsible for inadequate police response and deployment.
- specific news channels (Republic and Times Now (English), Aaj Tak, Zee News, India TV, Republic Bharat (Hindi). ) played “a key role in propagating hateful narratives
- BJP focused its 2020 Delhi election campaign on the anti-CAA protests, “within a divisive narrative framing the anti-CAA protests as anti-national and violent.”
- The Election Commission stopped short of ordering registration of FIRs against these political leaders for hate speech. With the Commission failing to initiate criminal prosecution, the malaise of hate speech infusing electoral campaigning is likely to spread further
The Logical Indian Crew 'Institutional Failure': Citizens Committee Report Blames Govt, Police & Media For Delhi Riots 2020 https://thelogicalindian.com/trending/citizens-committee-report-blames-government-police-and-media-for-delhi-riots-2020-37913
Report chronicles ‘failures’ by Delhi Police, state govt, MHA in dealing with Northeast Delhi riots https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/report-chronicles-failures-by-delhi-police-state-govt-mha-in-dealing-with-northeast-delhi-riots-8196683/
In addition to Justice Lokur, the ‘committee’ comprised former Chief Justice of the Madras and Delhi High Courts A P Shah; former judge of the Delhi High Court R S Sodhi; former judge of the Patna High Court Anjana Prakash; and former Home Secretary G K Pillai.
Delhi riots: Centre’s response to violence was wholly inadequate, says citizens’ committee https://scroll.in/latest/1034499/delhi-riots-centres-response-to-violence-was-wholly-inadequate-says-citizens-committee The Union home ministry failed to take effective steps to control communal violence although it controls the Delhi Police, the panel said.
Full report: download from the leaflet: https://theleaflet.in/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/uncertain-justice-citizens-committee-report-on-north-east-delhi-violence-2020.pdf